Post by Aine Davis (The first in a 12 Days of Christmas recipe series!)
On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me… a recipe for delicious and rich hot chocolate!
Hot chocolate has always been my drink of choice during the holidays, as I am sure it is for many. I was so sad when it dawned on me that I wouldn’t be able to partake in the tradition this year after going vegan!
I was so stumped. I mean, I’m Canadian! Everything comes prepackaged here, and I’d never made hot chocolate from scratch before!
So, off to Google I went.
And let me tell you, Google was kind to me.
Spicy Vegan Hot Chocolate
Adapted from allrecipes.com.
- 2 1/2 cups of coconut milk
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
1) Combine all ingredients together in a pot.
2) Heat the pot on a stovetop over medium/low heat.
3) Let the ingredients simmer together until the mixture is hot.
4) Pour and enjoy! Add some vegan marshmallows if you’re feeling extravagant.