Post by Aine Davis
The holiday season is the best time of the year for so many reasons. The biggest reason to me… is the baking. There is nothing better than getting a tin of homemade treats gifted to you, or sneaking a couple of your mom’s ooey-gooey cookies right out of the oven.
Lucky for me, my mother is vegan as well! Like mother, like daughter. So, I asked her very nicely to send me her recipe for my favourite Christmas cookies.
Mama’s Cocoa Molasses Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbs allspice
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup black strap molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 1/2 tsp boiling water
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
1. Mix together dry ingredients (flour, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cocoa).
2. Beat together margarine or oil with coconut sugar. Slowly pour the molasses in until thoroughly combined. Add the flour in 1/2 cup at a time. Add in baking soda mixture and combine well.
3. Chill, covered for one hour. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
4. Spoon the cold dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, then roll each ball in the sugar. Spread the sugar-coated balls onto a sprayed baking sheet.
5. Bake for 13-15 minutes until the surface of the cookies start to crack slightly.