Post by Aine Davis
Who doesn’t love gravy? Gravy is something that can be enjoyed all year long, but it’s especially good at Christmas!
I’m Canadian, so (vegan) poutine is an essential staple in my diet. And let me tell you, it’s hard to find vegan gravy!
Gravy goes great with pretty much anything too! Try serving it as a side dish with a fancy dinner with nice drinks.
Shiitake Mushroom Gravy
Adapted from Know thy Food.
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Whisk the broth, soy sauce, thyme, sage and flour together. Set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large, shallow saucepan for about one minute until sizzling. Add the onion and sauté until it becomes translucent.
3. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue sautéing for 4-5 minutes or until mushrooms have browned.
4. Add the broth combo to the saucepan. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes, then add the nutritional yeast. Mix thoroughly.
5. Reduce the temperature setting and let it cook for about 20 minutes or until desired thickness.
6. Remove from heat and serve! Once the gravy has cooled, feel free to freeze extra for later.