Perfect for holidays, special occasions, or nights where you just really need some comfort food.
For the Gravy…
*Note* I’ve already posted my gravy recipe back in December! To view the original post/get inspired for other meal ideas, click here.
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1.5 cups gluten-free vegetable broth, chilled
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup red wine or cooking sherry (red wine will give it a slightly heavier taste)
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried parsley (feel free to substitute for other spices/herbs that better suit your tastebuds)
- 2 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
- Dash of salt and pepper, to taste
For the Shepherd’s Pie…
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 1 cup green peas, cooked
- 1/2 cup corn, cooked
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup gluten-free vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried basil
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of sea salt
- Dash of black pepper
For the Gravy….
1) Rinse mushrooms and dry thoroughly.
2) In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the garlic, onion and herbs for about 4-6 minutes until softened. Add a splash of vegetable broth.
3) Add the mushrooms and red wine to the skillet. Stir occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
5) Combine the nutritional yeast, tapioca flour and soy sauce in a bowl. Add mixture to the skillet and wait a few minutes for the gravy to thicken, stirring frequently.
6) Pour in the remaining vegetable broth. Keep stirring. If the gravy is not thickening properly, add a dash more nutritional yeast.
7) Add the salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
The gravy can be made in advance and chilled — just heat up before serving. Makes 4-6 side servings.
For the Shepherd’s Pie…
1) Preheat oven to 450F.
2) Bring pot of water to a boil. Boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes until tender, then drain.
2) Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until light brown in colour. Add chopped vegetables, broth and herbs. Cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
3) In large bowl, mash potatoes with vegan butter and almond milk. Add salt and pepper.
4) Lightly grease a casserole dish. Add vegetables, then top evenly with mashed potato. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
5) Bake in oven uncovered for 40 minutes or until top layer is golden brown.
Serve with mushroom gravy! Makes 4 servings.