Trips to the grocery store make me miss some of the token junk foods that you just can’t find gluten-free vegan versions of, no matter how hard you try. Twizzlers? Dunkaroos?! DORITOS?! Pop-Tarts top that list. They made early mornings so much easier.
Well, whatever. If you can’t beat ’em, make your own.
S’MORES BREAKFAST PASTRIES
(Note: This recipe has been adapted from www.momables.com)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan “butter”
- 6 tbsp cold water
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp flax meal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 bag Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup gluten-free vegan marshmallows (I used Sweet and Sara brand)
- 1/2 cup Artisana raw chocolate coconut butter
- In a large bowl, whisk all dry dough ingredients together. Add vanilla extract, vegan “butter”, applesauce and water. Combine. Use hands to work dough and ensure all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Roll dough into large ball. Add more water if necessary. Place dough ball in fridge to chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out chilled dough into thin layer. Cut into rectangles with large knife. Rework and repeat for rest of dough.
- Place half the cut rectangles on parchment paper for bottom layer of pastries.
- Combine filling ingredients in bowl, then add dollop to centre of each rectangle.
- Wet a finger in cold water, then run finger along edges of pastries. Top each pastry with remaining rectangles.
- Press seams together with fork. Poke small hole in top to allow for steam to escape.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until edges are slightly golden.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Makes 12 servings.