By contributor Megan Stulberg
I’ve never been a huge fan of summer because I’m a wimp when it comes to humidity…but I do love that pomegranates are finally back in season! Pomegranates are packed with antioxidants and do wonders for your health. To learn more about the benefits of adding pomegranate to your diet, click here.
LEMON POMEGRANATE MUFFINS RECIPE
(vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free)
- 2 standard bananas, mashed
- 1/2 pomegranate, seeded
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup gluten-free flour of your choice (sorghum is recommended)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance “butter” (can use coconut butter or nut butter if preferred, taste will differ)
- 4 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using electric mixer beat together flour, starch, meal, xanthan gum, butter, milk, baking soda, vanilla extract and banana on low speed for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add lemon juice, pomegranate seeds, chia seeds, coconut and salt. Whisk by hand to thoroughly combine.
- Pour batter until lined muffin tray, filling 3/4 of each cup. Top with additional pomegranate seeds and coconut if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes until slightly golden. Let fully cool before serving.
Makes 12-15 servings.
Ta da! Your muffins will (theoretically) look like this: