By contributor Alexandra Courts
This was the perfect dessert to finish off a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with my family over the weekend! They couldn’t believe this dish was gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free and raw. Try the recipe out and you’ll be in shock, too.
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 2 cups dates, pitted and soaked
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 standard can pumpkin puree
- 3 cups cashews, soaked
- 1 cup 100% maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp nutmeg
- Blend walnuts, shredded coconut and raw cacao powder together. Add dates and vanilla and continue blending until thoroughly combined.
- Move mixture from blender to a round 8-inch pan lined with plastic wrap. Press mixture down evenly in a thin layer to form crust. Set aside in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Blend cashews until creamy. Add pumpkin, maple syrup, coconut oil, and spices. Continue blending.
- Remove pie crust from freezer and add mixture evenly overtop the crust. Top with chocolate chips if desired.
- Freeze pie for 1 hour until the mixture has settled. Serve immediately.
Makes 1 pie (6 serving).