By contributor Megan Stulberg
Suddenly it’s winter already in Toronto, but we might as well make the most of it and embrace being able to enjoy hot dishes once again!
This curry recipe provides comfort food at its finest:
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 standard package tofu, extra firm or pressed
- 1 large sweet potato, baked and cut into cubes
- 1 standard can light coconut milk
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 cups kale, fresh
- 1/2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Dash of sea salt
- Dash of black pepper
1. Wash, dry, peel and chop all vegetables accordingly.
2. Drain tofu and cut into small cubes. In saucepan, heat dash of olive oil until it sizzles. Flipping regularly, cook tofu with soy sauce and nutritional yeast until golden in colour and firm in texture. Set aside.
3. In large skillet on medium heat combine coconut milk, curry powder, oregano, basil, ginger and soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
4. Mix in green peas, kale and sweet potato. Stir regularly and continue cooking for 4-6 minutes until vegetables have tendered. Add tofu chunks to skillet and combine thoroughly. Add salt, pepper and any additional desired spices/ingredients.
5. Remove from heat. Serve on top of rice.
Makes 2 portions.