By Aine Davis
I wanted to make a dish that incorporates duqqa for a family dinner, but the Egyptian spice blend typically contains nuts and my cousin is allergic to them. Being the stubborn and determined person that I am, I came up with this delicious duqqa navy bean dip recipe that’s nut-free! Problem solved.
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- On a lined baking sheet, toast sesame seeds for 10-12 minutes until golden in colour. Flip halfway and ensure not to overcook.
- Combine toasted sesame seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, salt, cayenne and pepper in a food processor until fine in consistency.
Note: You’ll only need a little bit of duqqa for the dip! Store in an airtight container and add sparingly to your favourite savoury dishes.
- 1 can of navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp duqqa
- In a food processor combine beans, 1/4 cup of olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and duqqa. Blend until smooth in texture.
- Transfer dip into a large bowl.
- Using the back of a spoon, make a well in the middle of the dip and fill with the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Garnish dip with parsley and pair with Mary’s original seed crackers.
- Serve and enjoy!