By contributor Megan Stulberg
I feel better both physically and mentally when I avoid processed food. With the exception of black coffee, tofu and a few other treats here and there, I try to eat raw whenever possible. The health benefits of a raw food diet are unreal and you should totally read up about it here.
The best way to ease into any new diet is through dessert! Try out my strawberry cheesecake recipe below:
- 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 1 1/2 cups medjool dates, pitted and soaked overnight
For plain cheesecake layer…
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup agave or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
For strawberry cheesecake topping…
- 1 cup frozen strawberry chunks
- Some of the middle layer (set aside as much as you’d like)
- Using a high-speed blender or food processor, combine dates and almonds. Add a splash of water if you’re impatient like I am, and continue blending until finely incorporated.
- Line a cake pan or tin with plastic wrap. Pour mixture into pan and use fork to press the mixture down into an even crust. Place in fridge.
- Blend cashews, lemon juice, coconut oil, liquid sweetener and water together until thick and very smooth.
- Pour majority of “batter” on top of crust evenly, but set some aside for next step. Place pan back in fridge.
- Blend remaining cake “batter” with frozen strawberries until a similar consistency has been reached. Pour on top of second layer.
- Add your garnish. I topped mine with goji berries and raw cacao nibs, but fresh fruit or coconut whipped cream would be delicious as well!
- Leave cake in freezer overnight to set. Move to fridge to thaw for two hours before serving. Serve chilled.