By contributor Megan Stulberg
Instead of consuming large amounts of buffalo wings and potato chips on Super Bowl Sunday, I skipped the game altogether and made this healthy snack! Traditional pesto is made with parmesan cheese but avocado is a great creamy alternative.
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tsp ground garlic (or 2 cloves)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Half the avocado, remove pit, then scoop out the flesh.
- In a high-speed blender/food processor combine avocado, spinach, nuts, water, oil, yeast and seasonings until thoroughly combined.
- Serve immediately, or else avocado will brown!
Makes roughly 1 cup of pesto. Use as a spread on raw crackers (as pictured), as a pasta sauce, or as a dip with fresh veggies.