I used to despise tofu but it has quickly become my favourite plant-based protein to cook with! I love making this dish because it uses minimal ingredients, takes no more than 15 minutes to prepare, and the tofu is so flavourful.
- 1 350g package extra-firm tofu (organic if possible)
- 1 medium avocado, cored and sliced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup raw spinach, washed
- 1/2 cup whole-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground basil
- 1 tbsp ground rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil water. Add rice and cook covered for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Press tofu for 15 minutes to remove excess water. Slice entire block into large, thin triangles.
- On medium heat in a large saucepan, heat dash of olive oil until it sizzles.
- Place tofu in pan. Add soy sauce, nutritional yeast, seasonings and additional olive oil slowly while the tofu cooks. Flip regularly. Once dark in colour and firm in texture, remove from heat and set aside.
- In same saucepan, saute mushrooms until golden brown in colour.
- Mix together rice, tofu, mushrooms and spinach in large bowl.
- Serve topped with avocado slices and a dash of black pepper.
Makes 2 portions (I usually pack the leftovers as lunch the next day!)