By contributor Alexandra Courts
So I did something silly — I made this last spring and completely forgot to write up a recipe for it! This was one of the first raw desserts I ever made, so it deserves to be blamed for my obsession.
For the pie…
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 3/4 cup raw pecans, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
For the topping….
- 3/4-1 cup medjool dates
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Water (add by spoonful until desired consistency)
- In a high-speed blender, pulse the raw pecans, almonds, shredded coconut and cacao powder. Add in the medjool dates and blend until combined.
- Press the pie mixture into an 8-inch round cake pan lined with plastic wrap. The pie should be about 1 inch thick and slightly higher on the edges to form a crust that the caramel topping won’t overflow over.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Pour the topping into the centre of the pie and spread until it reaches the edges. Trim with pecans or topping of your choice, if desired.
- Set the pie in the freezer for about one hour before serving or until the topping has set.
- Thaw the pie for about 20-30 minutes at room temperature before serving.