Recipe by Aine Davis
While my Vegan Girlfriend co-bloggers are living off of raw food and cold-pressed juices (nothing wrong with that), I’m choosing instead to indulge. It’s my 21st birthday and I’ll do what I want!
(Adapted from Daiya’s recipe)
- 1 box gluten-free rice macaroni
- 3 cups Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 tbsp dairy-free “butter” (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika pepper
- Juice from 2 Limes
- Cook pasta according to instructions on package. Drain thoroughly and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- Prepare the “cheese” sauce while waiting for oven to preheat to 350 F. In a small pot on medium heat, melt butter. Add pepper, nutritional yeast, paprika, lime juice and chipotle peppers. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour almond milk into pot and mix together. Add the “cheese” shreds, then let pot simmer over low heat for 3 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sauce from burning.
- Combine pasta and sauce together in pot.
- Transfer pasta to casserole dish and top with paprika.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 25 minutes. Serve immediately (with or without pizza as a side dish, your choice).
Makes approximately 4 servings.