Post by Megan Stulberg
I’m vegan because I love animals! I believe that they are not ours for consumption, nor should they be viewed as a commodity. I can’t say I’ve thrown too many dog birthday parties, but for this special pup I jumped at the chance to make a cake he and I could both enjoy. We ate too much and spoiled our lunches.
For the base…
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp pink mountain salt
For the frosting…
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked 1 hour
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp organic vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Dash of cold water, as needed
For the topping…
- 1-2 cups fresh fruit topping of your choice! I used organic strawberries and blueberries.
- Line the base and sides of a round cake or pie pan with plastic wrap.
- In a high-speed food processor or blender combine walnuts, dates and salt.
- Press mixture firmly down into bottom of pan with fork to form even crust.
- Set pan aside in freezer for now and allow for crust to set.
- Drain cashews.
- Blend together cashews, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, lemon juice and cold water.
- Remove pan from freezer. Spoon frosting into pan and spread over crust in an even layer.
- Place pan back in freezer and leave overnight.
- Remove pan in morning. Lift edges of plastic wrap up to pop cake out of pan. Carefully plate and let thaw in refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Add fresh fruit immediately before serving. Slice. Enjoy!