Post by Alexandra Courts
Egg is often used as a replacement binder in gluten-free baked goods, which makes finding ones that are also vegan a rarity. That’s why I whipped up this recipe…so people with multiple food restrictions can have their cake (doughnut), and eat it too!
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 doughnut pan
- Preheat oven to 325F. Coat tray with additional tbsp of melted coconut oil so doughnuts won’t stick.
- In large bowl mix together hot water and ground flax. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes to thicken. Add in lemon juice, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and apple sauce. Mix together then set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, coconut sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Whisk together all ingredients from both bowls in larger bowl until batter has formed.
- Pour batter into greased doughnut moulds, filling each 3/4 of way. Press frozen raspberries individually into batter-filled moulds.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, or until the doughnuts appear to be slightly golden brown. Remove tray, flip doughnuts over, then place back into oven for 7-10 additional minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes afterwards before removing from pan.
Enjoy! Makes approximately 12 doughnuts.