Recipe by Megan Stulberg
These treats got me through some hard times. I mean that! I was hired to draw 87 portraits in less than 2 weeks for a client (If you’re into it, check out my illustration work here) and kept taking snack breaks to refuel. I don’t know what’s worse: the fact that I’m still waiting to get paid for the project two months later, or the fact that I’m posting this recipe two months later.
For the base…
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
For the cream…
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 2 hours but preferably overnight
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks (can substitute for 1/4 cup pure pineapple juice)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp 100% maple syrup or blue agave
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Combine all “base” ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor until finely chopped and thoroughly incorporated.
- Line a square pan with long strips of parchment paper that hang over the edges.
- Press mixture into bottom of pan, firmly packing down with fingers or a fork to form the base. Set aside in freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Combine the cashews, pineapple, coconut oil, maple syrup, shredded coconut and vanilla extract until creamy in consistency.
- Smooth cream overtop of base evenly. Sprinkle additional shredded coconut on top.
- Leave in freezer overnight.
- Remove pan from freezer and use parchment paper to pop out of dish. Leave on a cutting board for half an hour to thaw, then use a large knife to slice into rectangles.
- Top each piece with an additional raw walnut chunk for garnish if desired. Serve immediately or let thaw an additional 30 minutes.
Serve chilled. Makes approximately 9 bars.