By contributor Megan Stulberg
(Posted in advance on our Instagram here)
We’re a bit behind on our recipe posts, sorry everybody! I made this baby a few months ago and looking through these photos again has made me miss it terribly.
- 3 medium royal gala apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp black chia seeds
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
1. In a high-speed blender or food processor, pulse the pecans and dates until thoroughly incorporated.
2. Press the mixture into an 8-inch round cake pan lined with plastic wrap. The pie should be about 1 inch thick. Set aside in freezer.
3. Combine apples, coconut, oil, and vanilla extract in food processor until slightly chunky in consistency. Add water by the teaspoon if required and continue blending.
4. Remove pan from freezer and pour the topping onto the centre of pie and spread evenly. Sprinkle chia seeds evenly across the cake, and garnish with additional pecans if desired.
5. Set pie in freezer for at least two hours to set.
6. Thaw pie for half hour at room temperature before slicing and serving. Serve cold.
Makes 1 pie (approximately 6 slices)