Post by Aine Davis
If you follow us on Instagram (which you should!) then you know that we post photos of Mexican dishes on a regular basis. What can we say? Vegan girls loooove guacamole.
After spending the summer in Mexico a few years ago, I fell in love with how fresh and flavourful their food is. In my opinion, there’s nothing better than sinking your teeth into a warm corn tortilla stuffed with creamy refried beans. Instead of recreating this dish with canned refried beans that are loaded with sodium, saturated fats and unpronounceable ingredients, try out this much healthier version from scratch:
- 1.5 cups re-hydrated black beans (Follow your pressure cooker’s instructions. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, use this alternative)
- 1 cup Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers, finely chopped
- 3 limes, juiced
- zest of one lime
- 4 tbsp water, as needed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (For frying)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- On medium, heat coconut oil in large pan. Add garlic and onions, then fry until golden.
- Remove garlic and onion from heat and place in blender or food processor. Add black beans, pepper, lime, lemon, water, olive oil, and seasoning.
- Process until smooth. If consistency is thicker than desired, add additional tablespoons of water and continue blending.
Serve the beans with warm corn tortillas, green onions, avocado, hot sauce and additional vegetables. ¡Buen provecho!