Post by Megan Stulberg
I made these back in February for Valentine’s Day (*bursts into tears because of how long it’s taking to catch up on posts*) but these treats are appropriate for any ol’ time of the year! Pair a few of these with a bottle of champagne for a romantic evening with that special someone, or whip up a batch strictly for yourself to enjoy because you deserve nice things. SELF LOVE, PEOPLE.
For the base…
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked 1 hour
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp raw pink salt
For the icing…
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight (if possible)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp 100% maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Fresh seasonal fruit, for garnish
- In a high speed blender or food processor combine all base ingredients (dates, almonds, cacao powder and pink salt) until thoroughly incorporated. Mixture should be similar to a loose “dough”.
- Transfer “dough” onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use rolling pin or simply press down with fork to create an even layer about 1cm thick.
- Press heart-shaped cookie cutter (or whatever) into dough, remove surrounding dough, then place cookie onto second piece of parchment paper. Roll dough out into an even layer again, then repeat this step over and over until all the dough is used. Set in fridge at least 1 hour.
- Combine icing ingredients (cashews, lemon juice, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract) in blender until creamy and smooth in consistency.
- Remove cookies from freezer and spread icing onto each cookie. Leave a bit of a border around the edges.
- Place back in freezer so the icing sets a bit. Remove in advance before eating, then serve with additional lemon slices and strawberries as garnish.
Let thaw before serving. Keep in refrigerator or fridge.
Makes approximately 9 servings.