Post by Aine Davis
(Posted in advance on our Instagram here. Adapted from runningonrealfood)
Whenever it’s raining I just want to stay indoors, cuddle up with my cat, and eat comfort food. This super easy (and healthy!) broccoli soup feels like a big hug from mother nature. Almost every ingredient is a pantry staple, so I didn’t even have to make a trip to the grocery store to make it. It’s packed with B12, iron and protein, and takes less than 30 minutes to make!
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 shallots, diced
- 5 cups organic broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free vegetable broth + 1 tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp dijon mustard
- Juice of 2 lemons
- In a large pot, sauté 2 diced shallots and 3 minced garlic cloves on medium heat in coconut oil until fragrant.
- Add salt, pepper, and dijon. Sauté for an additional few minutes until flavours are incorporated.
- Add broth. Let simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add almond milk and broccoli. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Add remaining shallots and minced garlic. Let simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in nutritional yeast and lemon juice.
- Blend and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe by Aine Davis
While my Vegan Girlfriend co-bloggers are living off of raw food and cold-pressed juices (nothing wrong with that), I’m choosing instead to indulge. It’s my 21st birthday and I’ll do what I want!
This has to be one of the best dishes I’ve ever made, and surprisingly I created it entirely from leftovers! Ingredients…
(Adapted from Daiya’s recipe)
- 1 box gluten-free rice macaroni
- 3 cups Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 tbsp dairy-free “butter” (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika pepper
- Juice from 2 Limes
- Cook pasta according to instructions on package. Drain thoroughly and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- Prepare the “cheese” sauce while waiting for oven to preheat to 350 F. In a small pot on medium heat, melt butter. Add pepper, nutritional yeast, paprika, lime juice and chipotle peppers. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour almond milk into pot and mix together. Add the “cheese” shreds, then let pot simmer over low heat for 3 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sauce from burning.
- Combine pasta and sauce together in pot.
- Transfer pasta to casserole dish and top with paprika.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 25 minutes. Serve immediately (with or without pizza as a side dish, your choice).
Makes approximately 4 servings.