I love tacos. I love breakfast even more. If I could marry a breakfast taco, I would in a heartbeat.
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 1 package store-bought tomato salsa (Or make your own!)
- 1 standard package tofu, extra firm or pressed
- 1 standard package tempeh, flavour of your choice
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic or chilli powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- Dash of sea salt
- Dash of black pepper
1. Turn oven to a low setting. Place tortillas on plate and keep in oven to warm.
2. Bring pot of water to a boil. Boil potatoes for 6-8 minutes until softened. Chop boiled potatoes into bite-size chunks. Set aside.
3. Drain tofu. In large bowl, “scramble” the tofu with a fork or whisk until an egg-like consistency is reached. Add turmeric, nutritional yeast and garlic.
4. In large skillet, heat dash of olive oil on medium heat until it sizzles. Cook tofu and stir regularly until golden in colour and firm in texture. Set aside.
5. Cut tempeh into thin strips. Season with basil. On medium heat, cook tempeh in olive oil until dark and crispy.
6. Cut avocados in half and scoop out the meat. In medium bowl, mash avocado together with lemon juice, lime juice, salt and pepper to make guacamole.
7. Remove warm tortilla shells from oven. Fill with potatoes, tofu scramble and tempeh strips. Top with guacamole and salsa. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 portions (3 tacos each, and you’ll likely have leftover tofu and tempeh).