Post by Megan Stulberg
I probably shouldn’t remember this part of the evening, but on my boyfriend and I’s first date ever, we went to a vegan restaurant where I ordered a portobello mushroom steak. Considering how much I wouldn’t shut up about how amazing it was, I am truly very very very lucky that he’s stuck around this long. But I recently went back to that restaurant, ordered the same dish, and they brought me a cauliflower steak instead. What?! It still tasted great, but I must admit I was pretty disappointed. So I set off to make a version at home instead, because I make my own dreams come true. I made this for Christmas dinner and it ended up tasting exactly like I hoped it would.
This recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 cup flourless vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Splash of red wine (make sure it’s vegan! check barnivore.com)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste