By contributor Megan Stulberg
(Posted in advance on our Instagram here)
We’re a bit behind on our recipe posts, sorry everybody! I made this baby a few months ago and looking through these photos again has made me miss it terribly.
- 3 medium royal gala apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp black chia seeds
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
1. In a high-speed blender or food processor, pulse the pecans and dates until thoroughly incorporated.
2. Press the mixture into an 8-inch round cake pan lined with plastic wrap. The pie should be about 1 inch thick. Set aside in freezer.
3. Combine apples, coconut, oil, and vanilla extract in food processor until slightly chunky in consistency. Add water by the teaspoon if required and continue blending.
4. Remove pan from freezer and pour the topping onto the centre of pie and spread evenly. Sprinkle chia seeds evenly across the cake, and garnish with additional pecans if desired.
5. Set pie in freezer for at least two hours to set.
6. Thaw pie for half hour at room temperature before slicing and serving. Serve cold.
Makes 1 pie (approximately 6 slices)
By contributor Alexandra Courts
So I did something silly — I made this last spring and completely forgot to write up a recipe for it! This was one of the first raw desserts I ever made, so it deserves to be blamed for my obsession.
For the pie…
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 3/4 cup raw pecans, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
For the topping….
- 3/4-1 cup medjool dates
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Water (add by spoonful until desired consistency)
- In a high-speed blender, pulse the raw pecans, almonds, shredded coconut and cacao powder. Add in the medjool dates and blend until combined.
- Press the pie mixture into an 8-inch round cake pan lined with plastic wrap. The pie should be about 1 inch thick and slightly higher on the edges to form a crust that the caramel topping won’t overflow over.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Pour the topping into the centre of the pie and spread until it reaches the edges. Trim with pecans or topping of your choice, if desired.
- Set the pie in the freezer for about one hour before serving or until the topping has set.
- Thaw the pie for about 20-30 minutes at room temperature before serving.