Post by Aine Davis
Overnight oats are a healthy (and easy) way to enjoy breakfast on-the-go! Prepare the night before, and they’ll be ready in the morning. Just mix everything in a jar and leave in the fridge overnight.
PUMPKIN SPICE OATS:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Wheat Free Oats
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground espresso
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
Top with toasted pecans and walnuts, if desired.
CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE OATS:
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup oats (same brand as above)
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp raw cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp blue agave or maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Chop up your favourite granola or snack bar to act as a topping!
Peanut Butter and Banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 whole banana
Serve with toasted pecans and your favourite jam!
By contributor Alexandra Courts
I recently found out that the pumpkin spice syrup at Starbucks doesn’t even actually contain pumpkin! Additionally, these extremely popular drinks are made with milk, high fructose corn syrup, and a whack of other artificial ingredients. What the heck?
Here’s a new recipe I’ve created that will give you that fall flavour fix you’ve been craving: pumpkin chocolate chip muffins that are gluten-free, vegan and healthy! Eat your heart out:
- 2 vegan “eggs” (use this conversion chart)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (organic preferably)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 3 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together thoroughly. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk all wet ingredients together.
- Combine contents of both bowls and mix until batter is thick in consistency.
- Line a standard muffin pan with paper cups, or lightly oil pan to prevent muffins from sticking to the pan. Spoon batter into cups. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Allow 20 minutes to cool before removing from pan. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Makes 12 muffins.