Post by Megan Stulberg
On my way home from the gym one day last week, I decided to quickly do some grocery shopping. Before I knew it I found myself in front of a boxed macaroni and cheese display, lost in a daydream-like stupor for at least five minutes. Finally I managed to fight the craving and tear myself away, then opted to make this similar (but healthier) comfort food instead.
- 1 cup gluten-free penne pasta of your choice (I prefer corn)
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed EVOO
- Dash of sea salt and black pepper
- On stovetop, bring medium pot of water to a boil. Reduce to simmer.
- Add pasta, cover, then let cook for 15 minutes or until all water has evaporated and pasta is soft.
- Drain pasta, then put back in pot and set aside.
- In high-speed blender or food processor combine cashews, nutritional yeast, paprika, salt, pepper, butter and milk. Blend until a thick sauce has been created. If desired, add more milk for a creamier texture.
- In large saucepan, heat oil until it sizzles. Reduce heat and add mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes until browned. Add kale and continue sautéing until leaves have wilted and shrank down in size.
- Stir sauce into pasta in pot. Add mushrooms and kale, then mix thoroughly until incorporated. Top with additional paprika and salt before serving.
Serve hot and enjoy immediately! Makes 2 large portions.